Thursday, June 28, 2012

Paddle Boarding

Daddy had the day off today. With all of the chores done (Well, not really, I desperately need to go to the grocery store) and all of the family together, we decided to pack a picnic, pick up some paddleboards and head to the beach. We don't own our own paddleboards (not yet anyway), but we can rent them for the day at Sport Chalet for a really good price.


First my husband and son went out while I stayed on the sand reading while my daughter splashed in the water. Then my husband and I took turns going solo while the other stayed back playing with the kids on shore. Then all of us went out together, one parent and one child on each board. We saw fish jumping about a foot and a half out of the water, a flock of pelicans flying directly over us, fishermen casting their lines off the pier we went directly underneath, huge regatta boats, and a bunch of children in sailing school. They were fantastic sights.


When we got back to shore we spent some more time pushing the kids back and forth on, giving them rides on the boards. My son was standing up, pretending he was surfing on it. It was both cute and made me proud that he was showing off some skills. After spending about 6 hrs there we decided it'd been a long enough day and headed home.



This activity unfortunately is not one that I can recommend for everyone because of local geography. But you don't have to be next to the ocean. I know quite a few people that paddleboard on lakes in land. Check your local sporting goods stores to see if they do rentals, or can recommend a place that does, and try something new.

1 comment:

  1. I HAVE to do this! Where are you? Dana Point? I did see some paddleboarders at Lake Mission Viejo one day. How Fun!

    ReplyDelete