Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Trip to the Zoo

The last few days I might not have posted anything, but like before it's not because we weren't busy. My sister flew into town (whom I haven't seen in three and a half years) and the kids and I have been showing her the town. We've done many of the things I've already written about this summer, like paddle boarding and swimming. And we've done things that we don't normally do either, like take the time to look at the little unique shops in town. You know the ones. They don't have anything on your weekly grocery list and as you pass by them you think, "One of these days when I'm by myself and can take the time to look and not worry about the kids breaking anything". Well, I did those shops with the kids. But the highlight of the week was our trip to the zoo.


The kids couldn't wait to get there. Days beforehand the questions were coming, "Are we going to the zoo today?" "When can we go to the zoo?" "Is it time to go to the zoo yet?" Unfortunately my husband couldn't get the time off work, so I was flying solo with the kids. Thankfully the only thing I was worried about was getting overly tired (which I did).


We got there at about 11am and met my sister and her husband at the flamingos. We wandered around the monkeys and stopped for lunch after we found the tiger. I packed sandwiches and food I knew the kids would eat, but treated them to the biggest ice cream cones ever! Seriously, there was this teeny tiny cone stacked with a half gallon of soft serve on top! I put my daughters' in a cup for her to eat upside down before she dumped it on the ground. Score one for Mommy diverting the problem.


My brother in law really wanted to see the polar bears. What we thought would be an easy walk to their exhibit ended up being a 4 hour detour around a broken walkway! We were all so beat, and just pushed onward and upward on our mission to find those polar bears! We passed by some really cool animals along the way, elephants, this weird looking bird, and in the end we met our goal and found them!


I was so beat at the end of the day! After dinner and the highway drive I made it home at about 11:30pm! I spent most of today moving as little as possible recuperating from it all. But we all had so much fun, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Thanks sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment