Saturday, July 14, 2012

Blindfold Drawings

You can take any kind of everyday ordinary thing and turn it into something new and different with a blindfold. Blindfolds are simple, inexpensive, and yet open a world of creativity... and that's what we did today.

I took a sheet of paper and taped it to the wall at eye level height for my son. Then I pulled out one of my scarves and wrapped it around his eyes. I didn't intend on spinning him, but he insisted, so pinata style I spun him around a few times. Then, armed with a crayon he went after that sheet of paper. I told him to draw a picture of a dog.
My daughter and I laughed at him trying to draw, and he laughed at how hard it was, and then he took the blindfold off and we laughed some more at how funny his picture turned out. Then it was my daughters turn. I taped another piece of paper a little lower for her and we did the same thing. Her picture was of a sandwich.
I know, it doesn't look like much of a sandwich, but that just made for even more laughter. Next was my turn. I really didn't want to be spun around (I get motion sick on the smallest of rides) but the kids really wanted to spin me, so I let them. [Ugh.] Three times was too many, but I still managed to draw a decent cat, bunny, and sun.
Then the game got crazy. They wanted to keep making new drawings, but they got quite silly. My son didn't want to try and go to the paper to draw. Instead, he wanted to run around the living room dizzy, blindfolded, and with a crayon in his hand. Not a fun thing for a parent to watch! My daughter wasn't getting as crazy. She wanted to keep drawing, but she peeked an awful lot on this monkey (and sun)!
I called an end to the game after my son decided to take the scarf and tie it around his ankles and hop around... and fell (who'd have guessed that?). Even with the silliness that came out of the seemingly simple game, I'd still recommend this activity to try. Just be aware of what your children might want to do with a blindfold in their hands!

1 comment:

  1. LOL awesome! I'm always looking for something to do when the kids are ravenous and I'm hurring to make some dinner. perfect! I'll just sit them down blindfolded however. :)

    ReplyDelete